About Me

My photo
lifelong learner, online learning coordinator, social studies online teacher, adjunct instructor, case monitor, technology integrationist, alternative high school teacher, mom, abstract random, orange, ENTP-A, ideation, input, includer, stratgic, command...

Friday, September 12, 2014

Personalized Staff Development

These past few weeks, I have spent a lot of time in teacher's rooms observing classrooms and helping
integrate new technology tools.  I am so impressed with the willingness of teachers to learn and try new techniques and tools.  I am reminded of the quote, "Who dares to teach must never cease to learn" from John Colton Dana.  Teachers really do epitomize lifelong learning.  We must adapt our curriculum to meet the needs of our ever-changing students.

One of the tools that I have come to rely on to increase my knowledge is Twitter.  It is a social network where you can find all sorts of nonsensical and humorous information, but educators have taken it and made it a tool for their own personal staff development.  Through Twitter, I have created my own PLN, personalized learning network, a large group of educators from all over the world that I follow.  I learn from what they post, discuss issues online, and share my own passions in education.  There is so much information on Twitter it can be very daunting to start, but there are many organizational tools to help you with this, like using hashtags and Tweetdeck.  WDM employees, if you want to learn more about using Twitter or any other social networking site, like Pinterest or Facebook, to start your own personalized staff development, talk to one of the instructional coaches.  We can help you get started!

2 comments:

  1. I also find Twitter is my go-to spot for personal professional development. We offer a sandbox class here at South Hamilton, and we introduced Twitter to our staff in one session. Several teachers have found some great ideas there. It does take time to sort through all the info, but there is much there worth that time. Thank you for sharing your perspective!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for sharing, Cathy! You were my muse as I was writing this blog! Love all the work we share on Twitter!

      Delete