About Me

My photo
lifelong learner, online learning coordinator, social studies online teacher, adjunct instructor, case monitor, technology integrationist, alternative high school teacher, mom, abstract random, orange, ENTP-A, ideation, input, includer, stratgic, command...

Friday, October 10, 2014

Pinterest...it's not just for recipes anymore!!

"Ahem...um...hi, my name is Carrie and I am a Pinterest addict..."  I have to go to the Pinterest website or my phone app multiple times a day to see what new ideas have been pinned.  I think about what else could be on Pinterest when I am not there.  I talk to my friends about what I saw on Pinterest.  When I joined, I fully intended on Pinterest being my personal, fun, go to idea page.  A social network that fueled my geeky obsessions with Harry Potter, Sherlock, and Doctor Who.  A place to find easy crock pot recipes I could make that my kids would refuse to eat.  And, a place to collect all those crafty ideas I would never actually create.  However, Pinterest had other ideas!

My transition to using Pinterest as another teacher tool started when I decided to click on the "education" theme to search for what others had pinned.  I was impressed by all the ideas, tools, tips, and tricks that were pinned.  Just as with my geeky obsessions, I found a couple people that seemed to share my same philosophies on teaching so I started following their teacher boards.  Since then, I have started multiple teaching boards and as I meet people or read articles, I will search to see if they have Pinterest accounts.  I am also no longer am using my bookmark bar to save websites for later.  I have the Pin It extension on Chrome and pin websites and articles to my boards as I am researching.  I have also helped art teachers to create their own Pinterest boards and student accounts for all to share ideas and inspiration on class assignments.  Pinterest has quickly become my go to organizational tool  and social network for all topics in education!

No comments:

Post a Comment